My Garden Jewel Heist


Ever picked up a plant at your village hall fete? Celebrate them with me by choosing my book - click this link 

The time of year for taking cuttings has passed its peak. This year I have, as always, taken cuttings of my existing plants. Those that have proved to be well at home in my conditions are worth having their future there ensured, and the stock increased. The most propagated plant that I have is a Nemesia Wisley Vanilla. 

Of course it's always worth trying to take cuttings of other plants that have not yet been tried in the garden. And the best place to look for these is in the gardens of neighbouring houses. If it thrives for them then it should thrive for you. 

For a couple of years now, I have had my eye on next door's dogwood. I only ever noticed it in the autumn, when it sends out a ruby glow beneath my bedroom window. It is only in recent years that it has grown taller than the fence and I have had the benefit. So this year, as those livid branches dropped their leaves and leaned over the fence onto my patch, I got my secateurs out. I don't  know if the cuttings will take yet, but if they do, in a year or two I will have my own autumn jewel. 


This will sit well with that other gem of late autumn colour, the sedum. I have a garden full of this garnet coloured succulent - and I didn't pay a penny for any of that either. I first found it dumped in a side road in Nottinghamshire.  Someone was obviously heartily sick of it and had dumped the entire garden's worth. It looked attractive so I took a bit. And each year since it has been divided and spread around the back garden for much needed cheer at this time of year. Who ever chucked it out was a philistine, but I won't complain.  

Gardening is so much more fun when it is done for free. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fantastical Foxgloves

My Life in Lavender

Friendly, Fragrant, Mint