Hug a New Herb

 I recently had a go at growing chervil, which is not something I previously knew much about, in fact I had barely heard of it before. But apparently it lasts well over winter so I picked up a few seeds and chucked them into a pot in the greenhouse in the autumn. I was not disappointed! Look at this lovely lush offering!


The leaves are reminiscent of parsley, and like that herb they also belong to the carrot family and have a strong tap root. The flavour is not dissimilar, but it is milder, perhaps with a hint of aniseed. According to herb expert Alys Fowler, the benefits of chervil include an improved digestion and it also acts as a diuretic. In times past, it was also used in an eyewash for inflamed eyes. 

You can grow it in a pot in the greenhouse as I have done, or sow the seeds direct into the garden. However, it is apparently much favoured by slugs, so you must be prepared to sacrifice many of the plants. It enjoys shade, which is just what  I have in abundance in my garden, so that may be why my first sowing has done so well. It will eventually flower, much to the delight of pollinators, but after that the leaves won't be quite so delicate and tasty.

Keep picking the leaves and the plant will keep on throwing out fresh ones. Chervil is traditionally used on egg dishes, such as omelette, as well as being served with mild cheeses and potatoes. In his 1965 book "Good Food Throughout the Year", Ambrose Heath describes a healthy Spring Vegetable Soup which makes use of the herb. Here is the recipe:


Scrape some young carrots and turnips and cut them into thin slices, also the white part of two leeks treated in the same way, and the heart of a young cabbage cut into four. Cook these slowly in butter in a covered saucepan until they are tender. Then add a quartered lettuce heart, a handful of fresh peas and a little chervil chopped up, and finally enough stock to serve your purpose when the soup has been reduced by a third.

My download about food inspired by old British films can be obtained by clicking on this link!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fantastical Foxgloves

My Life in Lavender

Friendly, Fragrant, Mint