I have recently been planting out my autumn sowing of Nigella Damascena seeds. Like sweet peas, you can get them going as the weather turns cool and overwinter the seedlings. That way, you get flowers earlier and for longer. But not to worry if you forget, because a March or April sowing will do and you will st ill get three plants for the price of one. They are quite hardy and can be sown directly where you want them to grow. First of all, you get the delicate flower petals – most usually in pale blue but you can also get white or pink varieties. These will drop to reveal a green globe surrounded by curving bracts – these are the decorative seed pods and are like having a second flower . Some species of Nigella do have edible seeds, but not this variety. The seeds are release d when the pod has dried out, so once sown you should get them year after year, although I find that my stocks need renewing every once in a while, which is why I have decided to sow more for next...
Comments
Post a Comment